From the "Howard M.S.S." we extract a few Topographical particulars of some of the ancient landmarks of the Borough (From the Borough of Portsmouth, Miscellaneous Papers 1884).
KYNGSHALL GRENE,—anciently occupied the space where the Marine (now the Clarence) Barracks are, and extended to the northward beyond, Deacon's Brewery (the site of the Borough Gaol, now partly demolished). The Aula Regis no. doubt once stood here. Barracks were erected, on part of Kyngshall Grene, or near to it, as early as 1695.
FOUR HOUSE GREEN,—was where the Four House Barracks stand (the Clarence Barracks). In the reign of Elizabeth, the Queen's Four Brewhouses were there, from which it took its name.
CHAPEL GREEN, and CHAPEL CLOSE,—on the East side of St. Mary Street, anciently connected with the Chapel of St. Mary of Close.
HOG MARKET STREET, now Warblington Street, so called, it is said, from some of the Houses having, been built with materials from Warblington Castle.
THE KING'S FORGE,—in the time of Edward the Sixth was in Oyster Street.
THE QUEEN'S BAKEHOUSE,—In the reign of Elizabeth was called the Swan, and was at the Point or Water Gate. (There was also another "Queen's Bakehouse" called ye Anker, at the junction of St Mary's with St Thomas' Street)
THE QUEEN'S SLAUGHTERHOUSE,- Was in St. Mary's Street, where some of the Victualling Stores now are. (The site forms the angle of St. Mary's and King Street, on which the Revenue Bonding Stores now stand.)
THE ORDNANCE OFFICE and WHARF,- were originally at the North end of the Point, since Lindegren's wharf, (now Threadingham's).
ST ANTHONY'S LAND,—is said to be near the Market House, on the south side of the High Street where the house of Mr. James Goodeve (No. 49) stands, and to have been part of the possessions of St Anthony's Hospital, Threadneedle St, London, which was under the patronage of the Collegiate Church of Windsor.
THE TOWN COMMON,—part of the fortifications near the King's Bastion, (the saluting Battery)
THE COMMON,-lay on the north or north-west side of the Mill Pond and now forms St George's square. The town of Portsea was originally called Portsmouth Common, from the first erections to any extent being built on or near the Common. St George's square previously to its being so named, and for many years afterwards, was called the Foreside of the Common.
POXHALL,—a parcel of Common, granted in 1675 by the Corporation to Nicholas Hedger, lying near the Mill Dam, and forming the Parade Ground in front of Lion Terrace. (Now, 1884, the site of the Garrison Hospital).
KINGSWELL POUND,—stood nearly opposite the South end of Spring Street.
HAVINCROFT,—the fields where Landport Terrace and Croxton Town are built (This land, the property of Thomas Croxton, Esq., and purposed by him to be called Croxton Town, is the site of Stone Street, Gold Street, Silver Street and neighbourhood)
WEST STREET GREEN,—opposite Kingston Poor House. (Kingston Poor House stood at the Corner of Elm Lane and Commercial Road, and West Street Green was on the opposite side of the Commercial Road, and reaching near to the Harbour).
WEST STREET, KINGSTON,—the High road near the Green.
BUCKLAND,—is the only place in the Island of Portsea besides COPNOR, and FRODINGTON mentioned in Domesday-Book,—unless Appleside should have been in Portsea.
KINGSTON is included by name in the Grant of the Borough to the Corporation in fee farm by Henry the Third.
FRATTON HEATH,—approached very near the Town, and adjoined the Town Common against the Beach near the East Gibbet.
KEATS'S POINT,—the projecting Point of Land on which Southsea Castle was built.
SEA-MILLS,—two water Mills, as ancient, at least, as the 13th century, situate on the entrance of the Creek between Portsmouth and Dock field, belonging originally to John de Gisor and afterwards to the Corporation, and granted in fee in the reign of Elizabeth to Thomas Beeston together with the Mill Pond,
CHILMORE POOL, OR POND,—supposed to be where the Gun-wharf has been made, opposite Ordnance Row ; it was granted with the fishing and fowling thereof in 7 Charles I, to Owen Jenens, in fee by the Corporation.
RIDGE'S BREWHOUSES,—belonging to Sir Thomas Ridge, were on the west side of the London Road between Lady Ridge's Pond and Halfway houses. (The dwelling-house is now used as the Free Library and Museum ; and some of the brewery buildings still exist in the grounds)
WEST DOCK FIELD,—whereon nearly the whole of the Town of Portsea has been built, the principal Furlongs of which it consisted were called Sea Mill Furlong, and Black Thorn Bush Furlong, the former extended from the Sea Mills to Queen Street and included the land, lying between that Street and St George's Square. Black Thorn Bush Furlong lay on the North side of Queen Street. A tract of land called Thorough Acre ran through Sea Mill Furlong from Bonfire Corner to the old Rope Walk. Marlborough Row was built on West Sea Mill Furlong.
EAST DOCK FIELD,-only in part within the walls. The Buildings on the North side of the East end of Queen Street were eritcted on God's house Furlong in East Dock Field, which extended from thence to the Harbour, and was probably bounded by West Dock Field in the line of York Place, but the greater part of East Dock Field lay without the walls. The part without the walls lies against the Harbour, and extends to the Eastward as far as the London Road. The spring on the shore at Pesthouse was anciently called Fountain Well, from whence the field may be supposed to have had the name of Fountain Field : it acquired the name also of Pesthouse ffield from the House built near the Spring prior to 1693.
MAGDALEN CLOSES,—were four small fields on the North-west side of the London Road, nearly opposite the Portsea Island Water Works. (Now the Borough of Portsmouth Water Works Company's Offices in Brunswick Road.)
MAGDALEN GREEN,—of late called the White Swan Field, on part of which the present Water Works are erected. (This was the triangular piece of land enclosed by what is now known as Brunswick Road, Russell Street, and Commercial Road.)
OKESHOTT'S WELL,—on the part of Magdalen Green, where the Portsea Island Water Works are erected.
MOOR CLOSE, or Morrice Close, — part of Havincroft and of Hambroke, was under an Act passed in the 31st George the Second, taken for the purposes of the Fortifications.